Snooker's 2012 Dual Sport Ride in the Baja
Trip Report with Photos
My moto is a 2007 BMW G650 XCountry with full knobby tires, camping gear, everything but cook gear and food.
It is not just a plated dirt bike, I avoided narrow single tracks or for this trip anything where you need a lot of ground clearance. This trip was a lot of highway at 70-80 mph but I also sought out 2 track dirt roads, some were more difficult than others but no single tracks - only established roads, especially when solo.
GPS Tracks! Each section below will indicate GPX tracks file for your GPS you can download at GpsXchange.com under Baja (look for snooker). Note you must first signup and also upload 1 track log to be able to download others's tracks.
The trip was about 1800 miles and is divided into the following 7 sections with pictures and descriptions. Also click on camera icon in SpotWalla GPS map below to see a picture at that location. sweet!
- From start in San Felipe, south to Coco's Corner
- From Coco's Corner south down Hwy 1 to Loreto
- From Loreto north to beach just south of Mulege, including a day trip west of Mulege into the mountains
- From Mulege to San Ignacio, including whale watching at Laguna San Ignacio
- From San Ignacio to Bahia Asuncion to San Francisquito
- From San Francisquito to Bahia de Los Angeles, including a side trip to indian pictographs (cave paintings)
- From Bahia de Los Angeles to Coco's and San Felipe
See our Baja Ride Report on ADV. There were 4 of us on the trip.
See the Trip Planning Page for pre-trip planning, packing lists, participant info, etc.
See Snooker's SpotWalla Baja page (for GPS tracks on a map), or just look at the embedded map below.
Interactive GPS Map - With Pictures
NOTE - THIS IS COOL! On the Spotwalla GPS map you will see little camera icons and if you clock on it you will see a thumbnail image taken close to that location - then click on the thumbnail to see a full size image.